This is the best pie dough ever! You might think I’m exaggerating but it always tastes great & bakes up to flaky golden perfection. I made pumpkin pie using this crust the first year I went to Thanksgiving dinner with my husband’s family & now I get asked to bring pie every year.
Oven Temp. cook according to filling directions
Yield: 4 pie shells
- 5 c flour
- 3 T brown sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 ld (2 c) lard (fairly cold)*
- 1 egg
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
1) Whisk 1 egg in bottom of 1 cup liquid measuring cup. Add vinegar to egg, whip together. Add enough cold water to egg/vinegar mixture to make 1 c total liquid. Set aside
2) In a large bowl, add flour, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder. Mix well. Cut in lard with a fork or pastry cutter until pea-sized dough forms. You can use an electric mixer but make sure not to over mix it! You still want to stop mixing when the dough becomes pea-sized crumbles.
3) Add liquid ingredients a little bit at a time. Mix until dough is the same throughout. Once mixed, divide into 4 and shape into balls.**
4) Roll dough for pie between 8”-10”
5) Cook according to the filling directions for the pie you are making.
*I keep my Crisco in the fridge so it stays cold enough to use properly
**If not using immediately, these freeze well. Wrap in waxed paper first, and then put into a freezer baggie.